Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Week 7 Assignment

After reading chapter four I feel that I would most likely use concept maps in my classroom to help students organize their thoughts when analyzing a script or play.  Concept maps can be used to breakdown a character's profile as well.  Teaching theatre, I will most likely not be in a regular classroom but instead a theatre so the use of computers will be minimal; however for homework assignments, the computer concept maps will be great. 
PowerPoints can be very helpful in the classroom but they can be a distraction as well.  I think that if you watch how many sound effects you use as well as what type of slide transitions, fonts, colors, and the amount of information on each slide you should be fine.  Students get interested in the " bells and whistles" of your presentation and forget that they need to be paying attention.  Streamlining your PowerPoint to being interesting but direct and not overly long will allow more students to stay interested in the presentation material instead of the fancy details.
To conclude chapter four I am excited to incorporate concept maps into my lessons as a study tool and organizing instrument for the students.  I also now know to be careful when creating PowerPoints so that I do not lose the interest of my students. 


Elizabeth Linkous

3 comments:

  1. I think that having a distracting powerpoint is not helping the students learn the material. There should def be guidelines as to how many "bells and whistles" can be used.

    Britanie Talley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on using concept maps they are very heplful for gathering information and organization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree conpletely about power points being a distraction, but as you said if you whatch how many sounds special efects you put into it and don't over do it i think they are great teaching tools.

    ReplyDelete